Dress for Success
Follow us on Pinterest for ideas on how to dress for interviews, networking and in the office.
Attention to Detail
When deciding what to wear in an interview or to a career fair, you want to wear the most professional attire that you can afford. Please review the list of professional dress tips for women and men:
Professional Dress Tips:
- Well-tailored pantsuits should have a good fit. Stick to dark and neutral colors such as black, navy or gray.
- Your skirt suit should also be well tailored in a neutral color. When wearing a skirt suit in a professional setting, it should be worn with non-textured nude pantyhose and a low heeled shoe. Also be mindful of your skirt’s length. Skirts should fall just above your knee.
- “Unsuited” business attire can give you a professional look even if you do not have access to a well-fitting suit. A nice pair of slacks can be paired silk blouse, fine-gauge wool sweater shell or a button-down shirt.
- Accessories should be kept to a minimum. Avoid flashy jewelry. Makeup can be worn and is encouraged; however, stick to a neutral palette and slight application.
- Suits worn in professional settings should be dark or neutral (black, navy blue or gray).
- Shirts should be white or blue button-down shirt worn with a silk tie in a conservative pattern.
- Comfort is key. Stick to natural fabrics, like wool and cotton. These fabrics hold up well in any weather.
- Shoes should be polished leather, not ground-down-at-the-heels and dark in color.
- Don’t fall victim to the white socks with dress shoes syndrome that plagues many unfortunate men. Be sure that your trouser socks pass the elasticity test so they don’t fall down your leg midway through your interview.
- Avoid cologne, perfume or strong smelling lotion. Many interviews are conducted in small spaces. It would be a shame to be remembered as the candidate who made the recruiter’s allergies flare up all day.
- Hygiene is a must. Although you shouldn’t wear perfume or cologne, you should shower, wear deodorant and brush your teeth.
- Remember, you want to impress the boss, not your buddies. So stick to a conservative look rather than flashy and trendy.[/item]